As a fellow DIY Bride last year, I found myself doing as much as I could to keep my wedding costs to a minimum and make as much as I could for my own big day!
One of the things I did was to make my own confetti! It is super quick and easy, and you can do it either 12 months before the big day and store it somewhere ready, or if you’re a ‘last-minute-Laura’ like me, then it can also be made as late as the night before the big day.
It is so quick & easy to do!
FOR THE CONFETTI
- choose fresh flowers from the garden or shop bought flowers, that are currently in full bloom (I used pink roses but you can choose a range of different flowers) Make sure they are clean of pesticides and bug free!
- a baking tray
- greaseproof paper
For the cones
- paper (I used brown wrapping paper, but I’ve seen Brides use pages from books as something a bit different, or other sources of paper/card).
Start by choosing fresh flowers in the colours you’ll be using. I went for these beautiful pink and white flowers for this tutorial, but I only used the pink roses from this bunch.
*Helpful hint – The more petals you can use, the better the confetti shots will turn out – if in doubt, just use more!!
Use deep coloured flowers to match your wedding colour scheme!
Take the petals off the stems, and place them all together in one place to they don’t go everywhere.
This next step can be done in two different ways… read both before making your decision… i chose the oven option for this tutorial
- IF YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TIME UNTIL YOUR WEDDING – SUN DRY YOUR PETALS. Spread your petals evenly on a plate or tray and place them in a sunny window sill which allows plenty of light to come through onto your petals. This will take a few days/week for them to dry up in the sunlight but once they have they are ready to be stored or put into confetti cones to use!
- OVEN BAKE YOUR PETALS. Lay a piece of greaseproof paper on top of a baking tray, and then spread the petals evenly across in one layer.
- Cook the petals at 95°C for 10 minutes until they are dry and crispy.
Check your petals are all dry, and then store them in a fully sealed container. They will need to be kept in a cool dark place until they are ready to be put into their confetti cones or basket ready for your wedding day!
To start the confetti cones, lay out your paper and Cut it into approximately 15x15cm squares.
Turn your paper so that it looks like a diamond shape. For example, so each point is at North, East, South, West in front of you.
Glue all the way down one side (between the South and West point ideally), and then roll the paper into your cone so that the South stays at a point, and the North is the cone opening for you to place the confetti in. Using your fingers push down on the glued side to stick the cone in place. You can even bend the pointed bit so that it keeps the cone in a firmer position and doesn’t risk coming undone. Add a touch more glue if needed to keep it in place.
Finish off your confetti cones; decorating them with some stickers, or using a stamp & ink & putting your initials on them, or by tying some string around and finishing with a bow! All the little decorative touches!